Final Ferment - it's flown by and so much information to take it, I know it's only the start of a wonderful journey.
Tempeh , another new ferment for me. Sadly didn't work. I will attempt it again, when I am done pouting. Tempah is traditionally made with soybeans. I choose to try black beans. The idea of a mold spore was interesting and I was looking forward to trying this, as well as seeing how digestible it is and the mushroomy taste it has.
Ferment Type: Tempeh - Bean
Date: January 19th, 2018
2 Cups dried black beans
2 Tablespoon vinegar
1 packet culture
Notes: I followed the instructions, poured boiling water over the beans and let them soak overnight. The process of massaging and taking the outer shell off the beans was tedious and long. And in the end just a lesson in patience. I dried them on the towel and even did the trick the starter box said to blow dry them. I think my kids truly thought I lost my mind. I punched the holes in the plastic bag and placed the beans in the oven . I truely think my issue was 2 fold. A different bean to use, maybe not the store brand and the oven temp. Cooler temps here again. I gave it a good try, even went an extra day hoping something would happen. I gave up and will try again but maybe try the soybeans as my go to bean. I've had a lot of great luck and products from the other ferments so my stats on flops are minimal.
Modifications: used black beans.
Harvest Date: January 21st, 2018
Harvest Details: They look sad and uneventful. No changes in the Tempah, a little bit of moisture appeared but no magic. Definitely must try using a dehydrator.